Sunday, April 26, 2009

Biscuits - this time, they don't suck

Ok, ok, ok. I screwed the pooch on those last biscuits. man, they were bad. I'm not even going to say where I got the recipe from. The source may one day read this blog, and I'm a little afraid of her.

I was reading the NYT today. They had a little article on buttermilk and how it's making a comeback.
1) did it ever leave?
2) who drinks that stuff? (shudder)
The recipe they published is an adaptation from the Watershed Restaurant in Decatur, Ga. I changed it up some too. I have a small rant planned.

Oven at 500

2 cups cold buttermilk
1 T cream of tartar
1.5 t baking soda
5 cups AP flour (1.5 #) (rant building)
1T +1t Diamond Crystal kosher salt (.5 oz) (rant rising)
.5 cup +2 T butter, cubed, cold (5 oz) (urge to rant at critical)



(Insert rant here)

why in god's name do people do that nonsense? 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons of butter, or 2 cups flour? Is it that hard to actually weigh something out? It's lazy and makes me crazy.

Say you don't have Diamond Crystal salt. Say you are using another kosher salt of heaven forbid you buck the trend towards kosher salt and use table salt. If you used the technique of measuring it by volume, you would be screwed. And don't get me started on flour. I say if you insist on using volume as your sole method of measuring, it means you don't love America, freedom, or puppies.

I say everyone should take a look at this book. It makes so much sense
(End rant)

Sift all of the dry together.
Throw in the butter and work it with your hands until it has a nice consistency. Think wet sand with a few lumps of butter.





Make a well in the middle and pour the milk in. Mix with your hands or you can use a spoon if you wish. The spoon will just get clogged up and hard to deal with pretty quickly.

The dough should feel slight tacky. If it's dry to the touch, add another couple T of buttermilk.

Once that's done, dump it out and form into a disc.


I like to roll it out, then fold it like you would with puff pastry. It gives the finished product a nice layered look.



Once I have folded it over, I like to use a floured glass and cut the biscuits out. Jon should like this part.



Bake for about 10-15 min.


And as always, ice for the dog

No comments:

Post a Comment