Sunday, April 19, 2009

c'mon in a sit a spell

Making biscuits makes me feel all down home and southern. More so now that I am surrounded by yankees :)

So by request, here is a real simple biscuit recipe

4 c AP flour
4 tsp baking powder
.5 tsp salt
1 T sugar
6 T butter cold in small dice
1 egg + 1 yolk
.5 cup buttermilk
4 oz sharp cheddar


Oven to 425.

Throw all of the dry ingredients into the food processor and mix for a few seconds. Then add the butter and process until it is like sand.


We should talk about butter vs. shortening vs lard. All three are valid in this recipe. I personally just don't dig shortening. For me, shortening just has a nasty, greasy, artificial taste. So it's really down to lard or butter. I used butter because it's what I had on hand. But lard is a great substitute.

Pour out into bowl and mix in cheese. Mix together buttermilk and eggs and stir until just comes together.
Now onto a floured surface. Knead just a couple of times, and sprinkle with flour. Roll out to 3/4 inch thick.


Cut with floured biscuit cutter (i.e. mason jar).


Cook until nice and brown. ~13-16 min.


Slather with butter and honey while wearing a seersucker suit.

Opps, I forgot to dispense the ice. Now I am going to have to deal with being stared at.



No comments:

Post a Comment