Sunday, March 22, 2009

"It has carrots in it, it must be good for you"

The following recipe makes a boatload of cake. And since I was just doing some cupcakes, I trimmed it down by 75%.

Sugar 3 lb 5 oz
Cake flour 2 lb 8 0z
Baking powder 1.25 oz
Baking soda .75 oz
Cinnamon .75 oz
Salt .5 oz
Eggs 28 oz
Olive oil 48 oz
Vanilla 1 tblsp
Carrots, grated fine 2 lb 5 oz
Walnuts, chopped 1 lb (pecans work just fine too)



In a mixing bowl fitted with the paddle, mix the sugar, cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and eggs on low for one minute.
Add a few clicks of speed and mix for 4 minutes.
Reduce to the lowest speed and gradually pour in the olive oil.
Add the vanilla
Add the carrots and walnuts and mix until just combined.



One quarter of the recipe made 25 cupcakes and an 8 inch cake. I'll post pictures later of the cake. But the process is the same as the chocolate cake I made the other day. Only this time, it will be with cream cheese icing.

This icing is the easiest icing ever. The formula is a breeze to remember

Cream cheese 1 lb
Powdered sugar 8 oz
Butter 4 oz
Pinch salt
Vanilla .5 bean

As you can see, starting with whatever the cream cheese weighs, take half of that amount and that is the amount of powdered sugar. And half of the sugar is how much butter.

A couple of caveats
1) the cream cheese and butter need to be room temp with no lumps. No one likes lumpy icing.
2) sift the sugar.
3) only ever mix of low. If you crank the speed up, the result will be a runny mess that won't hold its shape. So go slow.



4 comments:

  1. Your kitchen and tools look so nice. And then I realized I have the same measuring cup, and I got excited.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol! thanks. but I think everything looks nicer in pictures than they actually are. I chalk it up to my mad photoshop skills :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great! I'm eatin' frakkin' Mrs. Smith's pie for my birthday and you post my favorite dessert...

    ReplyDelete
  4. it was in honor of you.

    and "frakkin"? really?

    ReplyDelete